The West Indies offspinner Sunil Narine was banned for his suspected illegal bowling action in the Champions League Twenty20 last year. The charge was laid on him specifically relating to his quicker ball deliveries.
But Narine had to go through a retest before participating in this year’s IPL. He underwent a test by the panel of bowling review committee of BCCI comprising of former Indian Captain S.Venkataraghavan, former Indian fast bowler Javagal Srinath and Ex-International Umpire A.V. Jayaprakash at Sri Ramachandra University, an ICC-accredited centre on Thursday.
Narine’s test report came two days later after he underwent the bowling test. He got his piece of comeuppance for his suspect bowling.
“The committee concluded that Mr. Sunil Narine, who had remodelled his bowling action, was within the ICC approved limits for all types of deliveries that were assessed and has hence recommended to the BCCI, that his name may be removed from the warning list of bowlers with suspect action,” a BCCI press release said.
Venky Mysore, the Knight Riders’ chief executive, said the franchise was relieved that Narine, their premier match-winner, was available to play again. “It is a matter of genuine relief. We are very thankful to the BCCI president, secretary and other board officials for bringing the matter reach the appropriate conclusion.”
After clearing all the tests, BCCI gave Narine the green light to proceed his play with the Kolkata Night Riders. Surely, Narine’s comeback in the team will change the facet of play in KKR’s favour as he definitely is one of the world’s most dangerous spinners.